I had the opportunity to watch some HBO content over the last few days. I’m not really sure how that worked out to tell you the truth because I didn’t sign up for HBO but it may be one of those free weekend things that they haven’t advertised.
One of the things I managed to watch was the James Gunn Suicide Squad movie.
What a resounding piece of shit!
I looked around online and they indicated that this version of Suicide Squad had been better received than the last movie and I have to admit I was a bit dumbfounded by that. Here’s the thing, in some circles, any movie based on a comic book property should generate mucho dinero! People forget dogs like Daredevil, Catwoman, Elektra and others.
After watching this though all I could think about was how desperate Idris Elba had to be for a payday to be in this movie. Oddly enough the movie is rated highly by folks and higher than the previous Suicide Squad which I honestly don’t think is a bad movie at all.
I don’t know if I am so totally detached or what because of the two Suicide Squad is a way better movie than The Suicide Squad...
We have moved into this moment where we are in a state of flux as far as DC goes with its film and TV properties.
James Gunn took over and everyone was all…
Okay, so now years after I started this post the landscape has changed and James Gunn is the head of the DC properties for the moment because with all the merger stuff all bets are off as to what is going to happen.
We’ve now had a few things under Gunn’s guidance that have come out… Peacemaker, the Superman movie and while people may not realize it, the animated Creature Commandos. Supergirl is about to come out as well and that actually looks pretty good especially since Jason Momoa is a perfect fit for Lobo.
The Green Lantern series is going to drop shortly and that actually looks pretty good too.
The important thing to remember here is that we actually have already seen GUY GARDNER in the Superman movie! Sure enough, I did a quick search and the AI Gods came back with these tidbits:
In James Gunn’s Superman (2025), Guy Gardner (played by Nathan Fillion) aligns with the Green Lanterns as the established, brash, and somewhat “jerk-ish” Lantern of Earth's sector 2814. His inclusion serves as a direct bridge to the future DCU, setting up the HBO series Lanterns by showcasing a Green Lantern who works Earth-side and has a contentious, independent relationship with both the Green Lantern Corps and the US government. Here is how his character aligns with the Green Lantern mythos in the movie:
- Faithful Portrayal: The movie features a comic-accurate Guy Gardner, complete with his signature bowl cut, over-the-top confidence, and aggressive construct-making style (such as creating giant green hands to fight).
- The “Backup” Role: In line with his original comic origin, Guy is positioned as a reliable, if unpolished, substitute to Hal Jordan. Early lore suggests he may be acting as the primary Earth-based Lantern while others are in space.
- An “Anti-Hero” Personality: Nathan Fillion described his character as “a jerk” with a heart of gold, representing the wildcard element of the Corps who often gets results when diplomacy fails.
- Conflict with Authority: Guy’s abrasive personality and tendency to challenge authority figures—even Superman—set the stage for his future in the Lanterns series, which is expected to explore the tenuous relationship between the Green Lanterns and human government.
- Direct Connection to HBO Lanterns: Fillion’s Gardner is not a one-off appearance; his character is confirmed to appear in Peacemaker Season 2 and the Lanterns HBO series, bridging the cinematic world with the upcoming cosmic mystery show.
Guy Gardner’s role in the movie helps establish a broader, more mature, and varied Green Lantern mythos within the new DCU, differentiating him from more heroic Lanterns like John Stewart or Hal Jordan.
So, whatever is going on there’s some kind of plan and it is interesting enough to give it some rope and see where it leads.
No comments:
Post a Comment